A lot of people take pride in keeping a well-organized Woodstock, GA house, but housework is a systematic task that’s not for everyone. As children, most individuals are taught to clean up after themselves, but as an adult, you may have some valid reasons why keeping your home spotless has become an unbeatable challenge. Forget about the pressure then – you can hire a professional maid instead to handle housekeeping. In reality, you don’t have to be well-off to hire a maid for your home nowadays.
1. Why you need a maid for your household
Although at the end of the day you don’t really need to justify your decision to anybody, you may still want to know some of the most common reasons why you may need a housekeeper:
- You’re too busy to handle anything else – Schedules are hard to manage even for hard-working stay at home moms. If you’re a full-time parent or if you’re focused on your career, you may find yourself too busy to keep a spick-and-span place. By hiring a maid, you can delegate certain responsibilities to your hired help so you won’t be swamped with housework, and you will have more time for other important tasks.
- For you, housework is a boring responsibility you don’t enjoy – Seriously, you don’t have to force yourself to do something you don’t enjoy just because others tell you it’s the adult thing to do. If you can afford to hire someone to deal with your housekeeping issues, go for it!
- You cannot physically clean the house because of a condition – Living on your own can be hard if you are ill or you are at an age where it’s hard to deal with physically strenuous activities because you cannot effectively keep a house in top shape alone. A hired maid can dodge around this problem and you won’t have to personally worry about keeping things in order.
2. Know your options
There are different types of housekeepers, and you should consider which one among them is the most suitable for your household.
- Direct employee – This type of maid is directly employed by the owner of the house. As a result, the employer is responsible for whatever benefits the state requires. If you are going to employ a housekeeper directly, you need to deal with payroll taxes as well. You will also set the maid’s work schedule with accordance to the standards imposed by the law.
- Independent contractor – Some employers shy away from direct hires because these housemaids do not have liability insurance coverage. If you feel the same way too, you can find an independent contractor instead. Just like the direct employees, you hire them personally. Since their services are considered as contracts, there is no need to withhold payroll taxes from their fee and you don’t have to provide additional compensation at the same time.
- Agency employee – You can find a housekeeping agency and sign a contract under their organization if you hate dealing with minute details like taxes and benefits by yourself. You also won’t have to personally arrange the liability insurance coverage because reputable agencies include this in their services already. You may have to pay a bit more because negotiating the pay of an agency housekeeper is far harder than someone you hired directly.
3. Important factors to consider when planning to hire a house maid or housekeeper
Decide if you are going to hire directly or get an agency maid – As mentioned above, there are several types of housekeepers. The first thing you have to do is to decide which one is the most convenient. In case you’re going to hire from an agency, your job is to make sure that it has a stellar record, and it operates within the dictates of government regulations at all times. This will protect your properties, and it will also be safer for everyone in your household.
Settle for most practical way to find a hired help – just like any other job, as an employer, you need to seek out people who are interested in becoming your housekeeper. You either get a referral from family members and friends, or you can find someone from the community. If you are new in the area or if you can’t find someone within your circle who can refer a prospective applicant, you can sift through newspaper and online ads. There are also several sites that cater to this kind of industry. You also have the option of hiring interested candidates from other countries.
Learn about laws that affect housekeepers, as well as employment laws in general – This may sound intimidating to someone who isn’t detail-oriented, but try to learn about labor laws in your region before you hire a maid. Though this is a necessity for those who are planning to hire directly, you will still need to learn about the basics of the applicable laws even if you’re going to get an agency housekeeper just to cover all bases. Having a legal know-how will assist with certain details such as what arrangements you should make and what forms you should prepare.
What’s the average pay rate and how much you are willing to pay – You can’t find a maid until you’ve done your homework on how much you will be charged. Knowing what is the standard wage in your area will not just prevent confusion and frustration later on, but paying a fair wage will promote a better employer-employee relationship too. Weigh the elements such as how large your home is and how many people are living with you. Take into account how often you want the space to be cleaned and how many rooms the housekeeper will have to oversee.
Schedule an interview and prepare to ask the right questions – The interview process may not be 100% reliable in knowing if a would-be hired help is dependable or not, but you can at least weed out those who don’t fit your qualifications. The interview will show if there is a good connection between the two of you. Ask questions that would display how knowledgeable a person is in household management, and if he or she finds this kind of work enjoyable. Take this chance to check on their references, financial and criminal history, as well as their employment record.
Sign up for a trial period first – Even if the maid you’ve hired seems perfect for the job, you can never really tell if you have an effective professional relationship that will last a long time. To get a feel for how good a housekeeper is, you should sign up for a probationary contract first. Two to four weeks will give you ample time to assess their skills and their work ethics. Since everybody living under your roof would have to interact with your helper constantly, the trial would show how well your household responds to the person you’ve employed.